Donnerstag, 20. März 2008

River Crossing


We drove further south, past Solitaire and then through an area which I knew dusty, burnt brown and dry from a few months ago. It was unbelievable how green it was now! Leaves on the trees and bushes, juicy grass on the ground and the river flowing with a strong current. However, the only animals we saw were a few baboons. We heard that all the antelopes had travelled north much earlier, towards the first approaching rains. Strange, how animals know where the food will be.

Not far from our destination, driving down into a dip, I had to stop. We suddenly stood at a muddy river crossing the road. Although there were some tracks going through I was not sure about the crossing and rather returned to the nearest farm to enquire about the river. Luckily this was only a few 100m away. I was told that this river was ok to drive through, but the next one we should check out first. I was a bit nervous at this my first river crossing, but my car knew how to get through. At the next river we stopped and I walked through first. The water was almost reaching my knees and the ground was a little sandy in places, but the current not strong. The manual of my car stated that the car can easily wade through 50cm deep water. Still nervous, we tried and although it felt a bit weary in the mud we got through. Later we heard that someone got stuck in that river this morning, trying to get through in a 2x4 combi! At this point the latest I was really glad that I did not listen to some people who told me that you can drive almost anywhere in Namibia in a normal car. This may be true in winter, but not in the rainy season.

Finally we arrived at our destination: the only wine farm in Namibia. They have 5 wells on their property and thus enough water to grow Merlot and Shiraz at the edge of the desert. There is also a veggie garden, date palms and a lovely little shady pool, very romantic to sit at. Walking around in the there already dry river bed we were accompanied by “go away birds”, a kind of kakadu. We spotted a large praying mantra and even a wild cat. In the evening we had a delicious braai with home made sausage and very tender lamb and of course, wine with it. It was also very interesting to chat with the owner about the development of the farm and about Namibian history.