Montag, 23. März 2009

Erongo West again


This was the second time I went to this place and it looked totally different than before. Everywhere grew high, green grass, pretty flowers, even moss and algae. The road was damaged by the river crossing it and we had problems to get through, although there was not much water flowing anymore. Near the campsite were beautiful small waterfalls and pools for bathing although not swimming.
The first day I decided for the walking group. We went along and in the river, sometimes sinking into loose sand ankle-deep. Then we crossed over to the mountains where my friend remembered to have seen bushman paintings. Unfortunately, this time we could not find them. Never mind, we continued to another place where there is a little cave and paintings on the overhang. These we found and they were very clear: kudus, two giraffes and an unidentifiable bird. We completed the round and returned along the river. I let the others go to camp and used the chance to take a shower in the waterfall. The water was lovely and warm.
In the evening we had a lekker braai and there was talk about getting up at 6 to do some climbing before the heat of the day. I did not really believe in this, but got up at the first sign of dawn anyway and packed everything. Then I took my breakfast and climbed onto a rock overlooking the camp to see the sunrise and keep an eye on the camp to notice what is happening. And there, really, just as I finished my Nutella roll, 2 people emerged with rucksacks from the camp. I hurried down to join them and climbed two fairly easy routes which I remembered to have managed on a top rope before, this time leading. As we approached camp again, a group of women was on the way to the pools. I quickly grabbed my towel and followed them for a bath. It was very relaxing, with water-massage from the little waterfall. After lunch we sadly had to return to Windhoek.