Samstag, 28. Juli 2007

My flat

I know, I neglected you here waiting for news on my blog, but I am trying to improve now.
I found a nice flat to rent for me. It will be free next week, but I will move in after my exam, on 15.8.07. It is the upper floor of a 2 storey house high up at a hillside. It will be quite a steep drive for my car, so I might have to buy a 4WD anyway. The view to the east is marvellous, straight to the mountains surrounding Windhoek. There are 2 medium size bedrooms with built in cupboards (not beautiful, but useful), one facing east and north for warmth in winter and the other one facing west and south, for a cool sleep in summer. Then there is a large living room southeast and from there you get out to the east-facing Veranda with the nice view. To the north there is a white tiled bathroom with shower over bath and a large kitchen with all cupboards, sink and fridge built in and space for a seating area. I will be able to use an old couch and a couple of chairs, will need to buy bed, tables and a desk. To the west is an area of currently stone and dust which with a bit of luck, advice and support from my landlords, may turn into my garden. Behind that is a rocky, unfortunately crumbly (therefore not suitable for climbing exercises) natural wall and then the mountain continues. I also have a shaded area and some wooden seats for a BBQ, a garage and a shaded parking area. The nearest relative of the elephant is living in the mountain rocks and my garden: rock dassies. They are very cute, but I have been told I will face problems with creating a garden. The place is not far from the city, 15-20min walk and the area is fairly safe so that I will be able to walk to or from work in daylight.
The landlords are very friendly, but hardly ever there. They have a guest farm north of Windhoek, maybe I can stay there one day with you?