Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2007

Rock Climbing

Hey, I can't believe it is nearly two weeks since my last entry! Time is passing so quickly and I guess even quicker here in Africa than elsewhere. Last weekend I have been rock climbing with a couple of very nice people near Windhoek. It is a nice, solid, smooth rock on a farm and there is almost always shade which is essential inthis country. The only disadvantage is that baboons sleep on the rocks and leave all their shit there. At this time of the year there are no problems with snakes and scorpios, but I have already been told just to throw them down when I come across any while climbing. All the routes are bolted and the technique they use for securing themselves slightly differs from what I knew. There are only a few easy ones and then a lot which are challenging for me. I also noticed that I only climbe once before this year and was tired quite early. Never mind, this group goes every weekend, so there will be plenty of opportunities for my training. At some point this spring they also want to climb Spitzkoppe and if it fits in my timescale I will try to join them.
So, this is my first entertainment organized here, horse/camel riding will follow as soon as I have written my second exam and bought a car.

Heidrun