Donnerstag, 16. August 2007

Erongo Mountains


My long weekend trip was great. It is quite a drive to Erongo, but well worth it. We camped at a lonely place on a farm (not in the European meaning of it, it looks just like wilderness), where there is only a fireplace and a bush toilet. It was amazingly quiet. The landscape is wonderful, barren with small trees and bushes and lots of granite outcrops in astonishing formations. It reminded me a bit of bald rock in Australia. The first climbing routes were just a short walk away from the campsite and it is good stuff, a lot of friction. There are nice views around from the top as well and we saw and heard black eagles in the skye and dassies in the rocks. It is amazing how loud and bird-like these small animals cry. People said there are occasionally leopards seen on the farm, but we did not meet any. In the evening we had a sundowner and grilled meat and sausages on the open fire. I got up before sunrise to walk up a rocky outcrop and watch the sun rising. The light was wonderful. Then I went for a 2h walk around, saw Kudus and Klippspringer, droppings from Zebra and a lot of bleached bones(!?). I also took a close up photo of some red wasps building their nest and back in the camp I was told by my friends how aggressive they usually are and how painful their stings. Luckily it is still winter and it was early morning, so the cold made them lethargic. You see, I have a lot to learn to cope in the wilderness.
Back in Windhoek I learned the last day and wrote my exam. I think it went well, there was not much I did not know. Now I am already preparing for my longer safari which you may read about after 28.8.